Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Do Freelance Writers Need Websites?

Lately, I've been pondering a question that's been running through my head for awhile now. Do freelance writers need websites? People seem to be on opposite sides of the spectrum when it comes to this question, and nobody can agree on one answer. Some will say, "Yes, absolutely a freelance writer must have a website." Others don't think it's necessary.

I'm not sure where I lie on the spectrum. On one hand, I think it's imperative to market yourself as a freelance writer so your name is out there for clients to take notice of. However, if you're just starting out a website might not be as critical during the beginning stages of your career. So I'm asking you -- what do you think? Is it always necessary for a freelance writer to have a website, or can they forego having one? Feel free to leave a comment with your thoughts.

2 Comments:

At 1:24 PM, Blogger B said...

My one-day website creation generates 2-3 decent leads per day. Well, at least 2-3 people use the contact form to get in touch...

I don't know if it's mandatory, but it sure seems helpful.

Carson

 
At 5:47 PM, Blogger Deb said...

I'm one of those people who feel it's not necessary.

I had a website. It listed the requisite bio and contact information and contained hundreds of links to articles written by me. It was a pain to maintain (I'm technically challenged) and didn't help in the least. I can email the same links in my query letters. Plus, editors aren't going to be trolling the Internet looking for writers' websites.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home