Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Six Figure Challenge Rants

It has come to my attention lately that there may be certain individuals that believe I and the four other writers involved with the Six Figure Challenge are lacking both the credentials and experience necessary to attempt such a goal. I'm not sure what credentials a writer should have in order to try to improve their writing and work towards a collective goal with their fellow colleagues; I guess I missed that memo.

Honestly, I am fine with constructive criticism or tips on how to improve the challenge and accompanying Myspace page and forum. However, I can't tolerate such blatant disregard towards what we are attempting to do. Whether we are published authors, "content writers" (what that term means is an entry for another day) or accomplished journalists, I believe all writers that are serious about their craft have the ability to reach six figures within a year. It's a matter of hard work and dedication, NOT name dropping the companies you've worked with in the past.

I apologize for the heated rant, but sometimes -- people tick me off. You are welcome to leave your thoughts in the comment box below, or drop by the six figure challenge forum or blog and discuss your opinions there.

Best Regards,

Denise

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 5:44 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

You go girl. ;) j/k Seriously, writers in most niches can earn six figures... it's all about being serious, knowing your worth, and knowing how to find the right gigs. There are bloggers earning more than published authors, respected journalists, and more. So don't worry about it. I finally just decided I have far too much to do in a day with the Challenge and my other work to waste time answering for someone else's ignorance. Just brush it off. The only people look bad with those kinds of comments are the people making them anyway. They'll either learn to adapt to new markets and understand their potential, or they'll belittle people and be left behind. More for us. ;)

Jenn

 
At 10:42 AM, Blogger Denise said...

I know. I wish I could let those comments just fly by, but unfortunately it's not in my nature. I'm a stubborn old girl -- and I'm not even old! Whoo boy, I can't imagine what I'm going to be like by the time I'm 30 or 40.

I'm not going to waste my time being offended by ignorant comments, but if something particularly rankles me I am going to say something about it. Thanks for the comment, though. It's always nice to have support! :)

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I'm not sure what credentials they think you need. If you can market yourself, have the ability and can show samples, you are good to go. There's plenty of business out there.

I find it interesting that many believe making 6 figures is some monumental task obtainable only by those preordained by the almighty.

Once you do it, you realize that the real goal is 7 figures. :D

 
At 1:09 PM, Blogger Denise said...

It is a monumental task. I won't debate that fact with the nay-sayers out there. However, like you said, you don't have to be preordained by some almighty figure in order to obtain 6 figures.

It can be done! Whether I actually manage to accomplish the goal yet or not remains to be seen, but I will not let my age, experience level, or the negative comments of others get me down.

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

There ya go. Negative people suck and should be shot.

It's a simple fact. Others want you to fail, because misery loves company. If you succeed, they'll feel worse about themselves.

Good luck Denise!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home