Thursday, January 25, 2007

Following Your Writing Dreams

I'm sure you've dealt with the following scenario at least once during your career, but if you haven't, count yourself incredibly lucky.

Growing up, I always knew I wanted to be a writer. From the age of three, there was nothing I could imagine myself doing if it didn't involve writing in some way. I read constantly - I wrote stories that, looking back now, were laughable. At that time however, writing stories was the way I chose to express myself.

Gradually, I started branching out, writing stories, songs and poems - you know, your typical adolescent garbage that reeks of supposedly broken hearts and teenage angst. I didn't care. I was WRITING.

Eventually, a few family members tried to talk me out of my writing dreams. I'd tell them that I was going to be the next female Stephen King, and what I received was laughter. I don't know how many times I was told that I could never make a decent living from something as ambiguous as writing.

Luckily, I had a few close relatives and friends that formed the bulk of my supportive network, and I chose to ignore the nay-sayer's who attempted to bring me back to "reality," or in their words, tried to save me from failure.

The bottom line? If you desire to be a writer, you CAN BE. It won't be easy, and it takes a lot of hard work and dedication. I still have moments where I question the career path I chose, but deep down I know I made the right decision for me.

Don't let anyone try to steal your dreams -- work hard, and they'll no longer be merely dreams.

They'll be reality.

4 Comments:

At 6:34 PM, Blogger Ashok said...

That's really well-said, and I think something more has to be said in an age where it seems we have too much media.

There is very, very little that is written that is really that good. One might say the solution is to cut back on writing, and maybe, in a previous age, that would work. But in our age, the best way through this is to demonstrate through one's own work that quality content can be produced, and show by example that some people really work hard at becoming writers, and others just happen to write.

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger Denise said...

Thank you for the comment. I couldn't agree more with you.

 
At 5:33 PM, Blogger Brian C. Lee said...

I have experienced the same thing in my life. Most people don't understand creative types. Sometimes the misunderstanding turns into ridicule or discouragement. It's not always mean spirited, sometimes they just want to protect you.

Following your creative dreams isn't popular. It usually doesn't pay well, and your family can't really see much in terms of advancement opportunity.

I have found that in order to succeed creatively, you really have to dig deep inside and believe in yourself even when no one else does.

Thanks for this great post! It is nice to know that other people feel the same way.

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger Denise said...

I agree with you, Brian. The money aspect of creative pursuits is what many people object to. If I'm not stuck behind a desk working for somebody else, I can't POSSIBLY be making a living ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home