Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Writing Question of the Week

Happy Tuesday everyone - I hope you all had a wonderful weekend.

This weeks writing question stems from a conversation I had with a friend over the weekend. We were talking about my job and what I do for a living, and a topic came up that I am sure you all have heard at least one time or another.

My friend asked if I ever experienced any issues with other family or friends because writing isn't technically "real work." I wasn't offended, because it wasn't said to be malicious - it was simple ignorance on the part of my friend to see past her limited viewpoint.

In any case, my question to you : What actually makes someone a WRITER? I realize there may not be a direct answer to this question, but I'm interested in your feedback. Is there ever a time where writing cannot be considered "real" work, or do we never get to that point? Is all writing - even hobby writing - real work?

I realize those are actually three questions, but humor me this week okay?

Best,

Denise

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 11:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

IMO, writing is "real" work when there is readership. Anything written that is unread is personal writing; hobby writing can be "real" work if there are readers.

Can't wait to read what others have to say about it. (Making all commenters writers).

 
At 2:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As opposed to my thoughts on what makes someone a "professional" writer, in this case I do think it comes down to getting paid, and a decent wage. If you can't make an adequate living (in relation to the time you're spending writing), then it's not real work... it's just hobby work imo.

As opposed to Karen's point on readership, I wouldn't consider that an issue. I'm paid (and well) to write various pieces that don't build up a readership (business plans, company reports, and even many forms of basic copywriting don't actually build readership, but you'd be hard-pressed to not call it real work). :)

 
At 2:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And wow... how often do I start two paragraphs with "As opposed to..." lol I think it's time for a break! :)

 
At 2:29 PM, Blogger Denise said...

Jenn,

While I tend to agree with the majority of things you said, I must respectfully disagree with part of it.

If you haven't been able to make a decent wage writing but are at least working to get to that point, I believe you can be considered a "real" writer.

 
At 7:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A writer is someone who has the passion for writing and does it for him/herself, even if paid or unpaid.

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Georganna Hancock M.S. said...

My ex-husband did not consider what I did as "real" work because I worked from home. I asked him during a marriage counseling session if I rented an office (which I couldn't afford) would he consider it legitimate employment. He indicated he would. Notice I said he was my "ex".

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Denise said...

People who do not believe writing is real work based on the fact you work from home are ignorant.

Working from an office does not necessarily constitute professionalism. If you earn a living doing what you love to do, it shouldn't matter where you work a 9-5 at a corporate office somewhere or in your pj's at home.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home