Wednesday, April 11, 2007

How to Stick With Writing - Even if You Think You Don't Want To

Let's face it - we all have those days where we just don't feel like writing. Try as we might, we can't seem to get our brains to focus long enough to hash anything out.

There are some days where I do everything in the world to avoid writing, and I'm sure I'm not alone!

However, writing is my passion. There's nothing else in the world I'd rather be doing - unless it's one of "those days" mentioned above. But when it comes down to it, I LOVE what I do.

The following article will attempt to examine several different ways writers can stick with it, even through the rough times. If being a writer is your true calling, the following tips might benefit you.

  • Figure out WHY you want to write
Why do you write? What are your underlying motives behind your desire to be a writer? Every writer has a reason (or two, or three...), and these reasons can help keep you going through the times times.

Determine why you wanted to become a writer in the first place. Write the reason (or reasons) down, and put them in a safe place. When you're feeling frustrated, reflect back upon why you chose this career path and you just might find your passion restored!

  • Determine what you want to write about
A writer without a niche to specialize in automatically gets lumped in the "general content writer" category. With that being said, if you're in that category you probably aren't having as much fun as you could be, writing about topics you enjoy.

So, figure out what topics you like to write about! Which topic(s) do you have the most experience and/or interest in? If you actually enjoy the subject matter you're writing about, it makes the job much easier to handle.

  • Find support
Whether you join a local writers group or have a close knit group of friends or family you talk to on a regular basis, it's important that you surround yourself with people who are supportive of your writing endeavors.

I know for me, writing was a career I'd dreamed about since I was a child. Even when people told me my dreams were pointless, because I gathered support from elsewhere, I was able to ignore the other comments and focus on my goals.

Surround yourself with supportive people, and your dream doesn't have to vanish down the drain.

  • DO NOT GIVE UP
This seems like basic common sense, but if you are serious about being a writer; if it's your dream career choice, and you can't imagine yourself doing anything else, then giving up would be the absolute worst thing you can do.

Every job has its ups and downs, and a writing career isn't an exception to that. If you persevere and dedicate yourself to your dream, then your dreams can never die.

It's natural to be frustrated and tired of writing. By keeping the above tips in mind, I hope you can determine whether writing is your career goal... or something that's worn out its welcome.

If you have any additional tips for writers who are ready to give up, please leave them in the comments below. I am very interested to hear your thoughts.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 8:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Truly awesome post, Denise. I don't have much to say in the way of conversation-builders, haha, but I wanted to let you know.

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Denise said...

Thank you Alicia. I appreciate the comment, even if you don't have much to say ;)

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger domestika said...

I heartily endorse all of your points, but in particular the one about figuring out WHY you want to write. Someone once said, wisely, that there's a world of difference between wanting to write... and wanting to "be a writer"!

One tip for sticking to it that works for me: finish off each day's work with a clear idea of where you'll be going tomorrow - even stop in the middle of a sentence, if need be - so you're not facing a blank page when you come back to the work.

Thanks so much for visiting my blog, by the way, Denise - I'm so glad that the comment you left me has let me find you!

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger Denise said...

I definitely agree with you, domestika. There is a clear cut difference between writing and wanting to BE a writer.

Thanks for the tip as well - it's something I'll need to remember the next time I find myself in a writing "rut."

I'm glad you stopped by :)

 
At 7:06 AM, Blogger Suzanne Lieurance said...

Great suggestions, Denise.

Suzanne Lieurance
The Working Writer's Coach
http://www.workingwriterscoach.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home