Thursday, November 29, 2007

Saying No to a Client

It's not always easy saying no to a client, especially when we don't always know where our rent money will be coming from at the end of the month.

I was very guilty in the beginning of my freelance career of taking on every project that came my way. If a client contacted me, I couldn't say no - not only did I need the money, I was also scared that if I said no this time, I might not get a second chance.

There comes a time in every writer's life, however, where we will need to learn to say NO.

If you already have a steady workload, there's no reason to take on more than you can handle. If you aren't able to devote your complete attention to the task at hand, then you should definitely pass on the assignment.

Why turn in sub-par work?

I'm not superwoman. I don't know many freelancers who would put themselves in that category, either. We work hard, but we shouldn't overwork ourselves to the point where we run ourselves ragged.

Oftentimes, it's a lot easier to just say no.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 2:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, Denise! First time visitor to your blog. It's nice with a lot of useful information and points of view.

I am a chronic "yes" sayer, so I definetily know the problem of can't say "no". And it hurts me really bad: 1. I get less and less time to enjoy my life, 2. workload becomes to heavy and I usually start to procrastinate on things and then sometimes just don't do them until last minute and 3. it hurts my reputation. Or ... it will, if I don't get better at sticking to timetables. ;-)

Is there a way to contact you? Tnx!

 
At 3:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never mind about contact. I found it, but just don't want to disturb you and steal your precious time. Take care. You've got yourself a regular visitor. ;-)

 
At 8:25 PM, Blogger Denise said...

Thank you Greg! I'm always glad to see new faces around here :)

You mention some good points about constantly saying "yes." If you end up rushing things and do projects at the last minute, chances are, the quality will suffer!

Please don't worry about bothering me. I answer each and every e-mail I receive, so don't hesitate to contact me outside the blog if you'd like.

 
At 9:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Denise,

This is my first time to your most impressive blog. I have been freelancing for two months. I've gained some very decent clients and at time shave a hard time saying no.

I must agree with Greg, my procrastination tends to creep up on me, then I find myself rushing. Fortunately things have always come through and my clients are happy; but that isn't a cool way to work.

I will be returning, I love your blog.

 
At 1:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its very great opportunity at this time of economy, also the points you describe here is very nice for getting a new & good
job openings

 

Post a Comment

<< Home